Surgical Malpractice Lawyer in Dallas
Did You Suffer Because of a Surgery Error? Call Aldous \ Walker Today!
Surgeries are a significant part of American healthcare. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimates that an average of 54.1 million inpatient surgeries and almost 37 million outpatient surgeries occur in the United States annually. Surgical procedures are inherently dangerous, given the nature of the procedures. Coupled with the fact that doctors are human, surgical mistakes are inevitable. Unfortunately, the damage caused by such errors can be extensive and often irreparable.
Studies reveal that at least 4,000 serious surgical error occur every year. This leads to surgical malpractice suits being brought against the hospital and its staff. Of the medical malpractice cases filed in the United States on behalf of victims, 50% were against surgeons. While patients sign an “informed consent,” surgical mistakes often occur that lie beyond the scope of reasonable risks. When a doctor fails to pay proper attention during a surgical procedure, they can cause serious injury that can potentially be fatal. If you were injured because of a surgical mistake, you may have grounds for compensation and should speak with a qualified attorney immediately.
Call today at (214) 307-6307 to learn your legal rights and receive qualified counsel!
Surgical Never Events
There are moments when surgeons commit unforgivable mistakes. These are called “never events.” Like the name suggests, these events should never occur. If a doctor does commit a never event, they can cause serious damage that may not be repairable.
Common never events occur:
- Wrong Site Surgery – Before a surgeon operates, they need to make sure they are performing surgery on the correct body part or site. Performing on the wrong site can cause serious harm because that part of the body did not need medical attention. The Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality estimates one out of every 112,000 surgeries happen on the wrong site.
- Left-Behind Errors – Surgeons have been known to leave objects such as sponges, scalpels, and scissors in the body. Not only is this unacceptable, this can cause serious injuries that the patient could have avoided. Studies report one in every 7,600 surgeries result with an object being left behind in the body.
- Surgery on the Wrong Patient – Before a doctor performs a procedure, they need to make sure they have the right patient and know their medical history. If the surgeons are careless, they can perform an operation on the wrong person, which can prove fatal.
If a doctor commits a never event transgression, they must be held accountable for their mistake. With the appropriate legal representation, you can seek the compensation you deserve for your injuries or for the preventable loss of your family member.
Causes of Surgical Malpractice
No two surgeries are the same. As such, the reasons for surgical errors can vary from patient to patient. However, studying the lawsuits brought against surgeons, there is a list of common factors that cause surgery errors.
Common causes for surgery mistakes include:
- Failure to follow safety protocol
- Not enough proper training
Our law firm dedicates our time and energy to protect medical malpractice victims from negligence. We understand how painful a surgical error can be. If you or a loved one sustained severe injuries because of a mistake made in the operating room, you may have grounds for compensation. Contact our Dallas medical malpractice attorneys today to schedule a free consultation. We will review your case and inform you of your rights. To us, our clients are our family. We fight on their behalf as such.